Kenya’s Ruth Chepng’etich Smashes Half Marathon World Record in Istanbul

Kenyan long-distance runner Ruth Chepng'etich has smashed the world half-marathon record.

The 26-year-old won the Istanbul Half Marathon on Sunday after clocking one hour, four minutes, and two seconds (1:04:02), taking off 29 seconds from the previous record set by Ababel Yeshaneh of Ethiopia at the Ras AL Khaimah Half Marathon last year.

“I knew the course well despite the cold weather. I didn’t expect I could lower the world record time by a few seconds. I’m so happy and this is due to good preparations,” an elated Chepng'etich said following the victory.

This was the world marathon champion’s third Istanbul Half Marathon title, having won the race in 2017 and 2019.

Ethiopia’s Yalemzerf Yehualaw finished a distant second in 1:04:40 while Hellen Obiri of Kenya was third in 1:04:51—the fastest half marathon in history by a debutant.
Joan Chelimo (Kenya) came fourth in 1:05:09 ahead of world marathon record holder Brigid Kosgei, who timed 1:06:01.

World record-holder Kibiwott Kandie of Kenya triumphed in the men’s race in a course record of 59:35 ahead of compatriot Geoffrey Kamworor, who clocked 59:37.