17 Suspects Arrested Following Attack on Raila's Helicopter.

KenyanList

17 people suspected to be involved in Friday’s attack on ODM leader Raila Odinga and his entourage in Eldoret have been arrested.

Police said the suspects had in their possession cash in form of Ksh 50 denominations and mobile phones. These were being used to carry out forensic analysis.

Raila Odinga, who is vying for presidency on the Azimio La Umoja party, was attacked by a group of stone-pelting youths at the Kabenes area, Uasin Gishu county. He was leaving the burial of businessman Mzee Jackson Kibor.

The helicopter carrying Mr. Odinga and some vehicles were damaged during the incident. Odinga termed the deed as politically instigated by his political rivals.

On Saturday, Inspector-General of Police Hilary Mutyambai directed the Rift Valley Regional Police Commander to urgently take decisive action against the perpetrators.

In a statement, the National Police Service (NPS) said that acts of violence targeting political opponents shall not be tolerated.

As Deputy President William Ruto apologized to Odinga over the unfortunate incident, he vowed that his United Democratic Alliance (UDA) party will hold to account any member found guilty of involvement in the violence.

“I have instructed the party to work with the police so that we can get to the root of what happened yesterday in Eldoret,” Ruto told the press on Saturday.

“Even as we work as a party to ensure we have an election free of violence, I also take this opportunity to apologize to Raila Odinga for what happened to him yesterday, it was really unfortunate and I hope those who engaged in this exercise regret what they did.”