News President Uhuru Pledges a Smooth Handover of Power

KenyanList

President Kenyatta has pledged to handover power to whoever Kenyans elect to succeed him in the forthcoming elections.

Speaking during this year’s National Prayer Breakfast held at Safari Park Hotel in Nairobi on Thursday, Kenyatta urged presidential contenders to accept the outcome of the August 9th elections to ensure peace in the country.

“We are aware that the tempo of our politics is beating at an increased rate day by day. We know the task of building a nation is passed from generation to generation. I intend to do just that,” Uhuru said.

Uhuru, who has endorsed Azimio La Umoja-One Kenya coalition presidential flagbearer Raila Odinga as his preferred successor, stated that there can be only one winner in any election.

“My wish is to wish all of you peace. Mine is to wish you all will end up much more united and stronger after this election than ever before. I wish everyone who is vying the best of luck knowing that they will be always one winner and our prayer is that we shall accept and be able to move forward and leave to fight another day,” he said.

He further urged all Kenyans to be ambassadors of peace and unity as the country gears up for the forthcoming general election.

“My earnest prayer is that this unity of purpose and our shared humanity that has been displayed today will endure in every aspect of our lives going forward.”

Other leaders who attended the national prayer breakfast are Deputy President William Ruto, Chief Justice Martha Koome, National Assembly Speaker Justin Muturi and his Senate counterpart Ken Lusaka, and Raila Odinga’s running mate Martha Karua, among others.