Waititu Eyes Political Comeback in 2022, to Vie for Kiambu Governor's Seat

Former Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu has revealed plans to make a political comeback in 2022.

Waititu lost the governor’s seat in January this year after the Senate upheld Kiambu MCAs’ decision to impeach him on the grounds of gross misconduct, abuse of office, and violation of the Constitution.

His ouster came after he was arrested and charged over the alleged embezzlement of funds amounting to Sh588 million from Kiambu county government coffers.

Waititu, who has stayed away from the public limelight since his impeachment, says he will vie for the Kiambu governor’s seat in the next elections.

“I am hopeful that I will serve Kiambu residents once again because I believe that my removal from office was politically instigated,” he said during an interview with Kameme FM.

He alleged that Deputy Governor James Nyoro and Kiambu County Assembly Speaker Stephen Ndichu were behind his impeachment.

Waititu says he regrets picking Nyoro as the deputy governor, terming it the biggest political blunder he ever made. Nyoro was sworn-in as the new Kiambu governor following Waititu’s impeachment.

“I know the biggest mistake I ever did in my entire political career was to pick Nyoro as my deputy. Instead of helping me, he came to light my fire. I remember I signed his papers for him to be running mate,” Waititu said.

During the interview, Waititu called for a review of the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) report to protect governors from being impeached arbitrarily.

He also confirmed he was admitted at the Aga Khan Hospital for several days after testing positive for Covid-19.