News I Do Not Have Access to IEBC Servers, ICT CS Joe Mucheru Says

KenyanList

1654487223468.png

ICT Cabinet Secretary Joe Mucheru has dismissed claims that he is involved in a plot to rig the August 9th general elections in favor of the Azimio La Umoja-One Kenya coalition presidential flagbearer Raila Odinga.

Mucheru termed claims that he has access to the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) servers as false, adding that the only thing his ministry provides to IEBC is internet connection and policies for regulations under the Communication Authority.

"I want to make it clear that we don't get involved in the running of elections because there is the body mandated for that work. People have been claiming that I have access to the servers and I can decide who will vote where and who will go where but this is not true," Mucheru said during a meeting with church leaders in Murang'a on Saturday,

"We shall only provide whatever they have asked for and leave the rest to them,” he added.

His sentiments were echoed by Interior CS Fred Matiang'i, who reiterated that the government is committed to ensuring that the elections are free and fair. He added that security agents are fully equipped and prepared to deal with anyone who will attempt to cause violence.

"We shall deal ruthlessly with anyone who will attempt to cause violence regardless of who they are," said Matiang’i.

Mucheru and Matiang’i have come under fire from Deputy President William Ruto’s camp over their decision to endorse Odinga’s presidential bid in the forthcoming elections.

Ruto’s UDA party had earlier written to the electoral commission demanding Mucheru’s resignation, claiming that he plans to use his position as the ICT minister to influence the results of the upcoming elections.

Source: Mwakilishi