Kenyan Man Gets a Dowry Refund from Former In-Laws Following a Court Order

KenyanList

A 52-year-old Kenyan man has received a dowry refund from his former in-laws following a court order.

Wilberforce Saenyi Murunga moved to court seeking a dowry refund after his marriage to Irine Khasoa was dissolved by a Kitale court last October on grounds that his wife deserted their matrimonial home.

Murunga said he had traveled to the United States for studies but cut short his education to return home after his wife demanded that they have children.

"My wife was the reason I came back after two years in the United States. I used to send her money, but when she told me to return home and sire children with her, I just had to come home," he said in a past interview.

“I lived with my former wife for about one year and six months when she started deserting our matrimonial home on several occasions.”

On Saturday, Murunga and his brother Fred Matumbayi arrived at the Chief's office in Baraton in Kiminini, Trans-Nzoia County where they picked up Sh20,000, three cows, and a goat from his in-laws following an order by the Kitale mediation court.

The man had paid Sh50,000, three Ayrshire heifers, one cross Ayrshire bullock, one she goat, a pair of gumboots, and a hat as bride price on April 27th, 2019. But in the undersigned parties’ agreement, he forfeited one cow and Sh30, 000 as a token of appreciation and the rest of the items.

"I am excited and happy that the court has done justice for me. Since the aggressor happens to be a lawyer I never thought I would win this case and I thank God," Murunga told Nation.

He says his in-laws were unable to return all the animals and money due to the harsh economy. The animals were transported to his village home in Chwele, Bungoma for the Balunda clan to confirm.

"Now we are officially not husband and wife anymore. She is free to move on and likewise since the dowry has been refunded back," he added,

Murunga plans to go back to the US this month.

A 52-year-old Kenyan man has received a dowry refund from his former in-laws following a court order.

Wilberforce Saenyi Murunga moved to court seeking a dowry refund after his marriage to Irine Khasoa was dissolved by a Kitale court last October on grounds that his wife deserted their matrimonial home.

Murunga said he had traveled to the United States for studies but cut short his education to return home after his wife demanded that they have children.

"My wife was the reason I came back after two years in the United States. I used to send her money, but when she told me to return home and sire children with her, I just had to come home," he said in a past interview.

“I lived with my former wife for about one year and six months when she started deserting our matrimonial home on several occasions.”

On Saturday, Murunga and his brother Fred Matumbayi arrived at the Chief's office in Baraton in Kiminini, Trans-Nzoia County where they picked up Sh20,000, three cows, and a goat from his in-laws following an order by the Kitale mediation court.

The man had paid Sh50,000, three Ayrshire heifers, one cross Ayrshire bullock, one she goat, a pair of gumboots, and a hat as bride price on April 27th, 2019. But in the undersigned parties’ agreement, he forfeited one cow and Sh30, 000 as a token of appreciation and the rest of the items.

"I am excited and happy that the court has done justice for me. Since the aggressor happens to be a lawyer I never thought I would win this case and I thank God," Murunga told Nation.

He says his in-laws were unable to return all the animals and money due to the harsh economy. The animals were transported to his village home in Chwele, Bungoma for the Balunda clan to confirm.

"Now we are officially not husband and wife anymore. She is free to move on and likewise since the dowry has been refunded back," he added,

Murunga plans to go back to the US this month.
Sounds funny but serious